Table of contents:
- Swollen gums
- Swollen gums: causes
- Treating swollen gums
- Treatment of swollen gums with folk remedies
Video: Swollen Gums
2023 Author: Rachel Wainwright | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-06-04 23:24
Swelling of the gums occurs for various reasons and is often accompanied by severe pain during chewing, impaired diction and fever.
Swollen gums: causes
The most common causes of gum swelling are:
- The appearance of a cyst;
- Holes in the teeth;
- Pulpitis of the gums;
- Removal of a tooth;
- Inflammation of the dental nerves.
Often, gum swelling occurs during the eruption of both milk teeth in infancy and the growth of wisdom teeth in adults. If, during the growth of a wisdom tooth, the gum is swollen, it is necessary to urgently consult a dentist and take an X-ray, as this may be an indication that the tooth is growing in the wrong direction.
Also, the reason that the gums are swollen may be poor-quality dental treatment, complications of certain diseases, injuries, lack of vitamins, diseases of the endocrine, cardiovascular and nervous systems.
Treating swollen gums
As soon as the gums are swollen and at the first painful sensations, it is necessary to consult a doctor to determine the cause of the swelling and choose an adequate treatment.
Rinsing with drugs such as Givalex, Stomatodin and Mevalex is effective if the gums are swollen and a toothache is sore, and besides, these funds are dispensed from pharmacies without a prescription, which is convenient for those who do not have the opportunity to see a doctor. However, in any case, a visit to the dentist is necessary, as rinsing solutions will help relieve pain, but not the reason why the gums are swollen.
The most effective means of fighting toothache and swelling of the gums are Chlorhexidine solution and Metrogyl dent gel, but their use is possible only after consulting a doctor. If the swelling of the gums is accompanied by severe pain, then the best drugs for relieving pain are Ketanov, Ketalong and Solpadein.
If the pain and swelling began abruptly, and you do not have any of the above medicines at hand, then there is no better remedy than rinsing the swollen gums with a warm solution of soda and salt. Decoctions of medicinal herbs and a three percent hydrogen peroxide solution are also effective.
Treatment of swollen gums with folk remedies
There are many popular recipes that are effective if the gums are swollen and help relieve the accompanying swelling pain, namely:
- Dissolve a tablespoon of baking soda in a glass of warm water and add a drop of iodine. Rinse your mouth with the prepared solution every 10-15 minutes;
- Stir one teaspoon of dry calendula, chamomile and sage and pour a glass of boiling water, wait until it cools down and rinse your mouth every 15 minutes;
- One tablespoon of the collection of St. John's wort, sage, yarrow, oak bark and chamomile officinalis pour a glass of water, put on low heat and bring to a boil. Strain and cool the prepared liquid, then rinse your mouth 2-3 times a day until the symptoms pass;
- Four tablespoons of chamomile medicinal pour 400 ml of boiling water, leave for 5 minutes, drain the liquid and rinse your mouth with the resulting broth five times a day;
- Mix one yolk, one teaspoon of powdered sugar and one tablespoon of vegetable oil, apply the prepared mixture to the sore spot in the form of compresses;
- Pour a teaspoon of dry strawberry and dry sage leaves with a glass of boiling water, then leave for 5-10 minutes. Dip a gauze swab into the prepared solution, which is applied every 2-3 hours for 15-20 minutes to the swollen gum;
- Pour two tablespoons of dried flowers and leaves of St. John's wort with a glass of boiling water, strain and rinse your mouth up to five times a day;
- Dissolve one teaspoon of baking soda with two tablespoons of warm water, rub the resulting mixture gently along the gum line.
Alternative methods of treatment are safe and effective in cases when the gums are swollen and inflammation of the oral cavity begins.
Found a mistake in the text? Select it and press Ctrl + Enter.