Table of contents:
- Release form and composition
- Pharmacological properties
- Indications for use
- Instructions for the use of Orvirem: method and dosage
- Side effects
- special instructions
- Application during pregnancy and lactation
- Pediatric use
- With impaired renal function
- For violations of liver function
- Drug interactions
- Terms and conditions of storage
- Terms of dispensing from pharmacies
- Reviews about Orvirem
- The price of Orvirem in pharmacies
- Orvirem: prices in online pharmacies
Video: Orvirem - Instructions, Use Of Syrup For Children, Price, Reviews
Orvirem: instructions for use and reviews
- 1. Release form and composition
- 2. Pharmacological properties
- 3. Indications for use
- 4. Contraindications
- 5. Method of application and dosage
- 6. Side effects
- 7. Overdose
- 8. Special instructions
- 9. Application during pregnancy and lactation
- 10. Use in childhood
- 11. In case of impaired renal function
- 12. For violations of liver function
- 13. Drug interactions
- 14. Analogs
- 15. Terms and conditions of storage
- 16. Terms of dispensing from pharmacies
- 17. Reviews
- 18. Price in pharmacies
Latin name: Orvirem
ATX code: J05AC02
Active ingredient: rimantadine (rimantadine)
Manufacturer: OLIFEN Corporation (Russia)
Description and photo updated: 2018-23-11
Prices in pharmacies: from 232 rubles.
Orvirem is an antiviral agent.
Release form and composition
The dosage form of Orvirem is syrup (for children): a thick liquid of light red or pink color (100 ml in dark glass bottles, 1 bottle in a cardboard box).
Composition of 5 ml syrup (1 teaspoon):
- active substance: rimantadine hydrochloride - 10 mg;
- auxiliary components: purified water, sodium alginate, sugar, E122 dye.
Rimantadine is an adamantane derivative antiviral agent that is active against various strains of influenza A virus, especially A2.
Rimantadine is a weak base that acts by increasing the pH of endosomes, which have a membrane of vacuoles, and surrounding viral particles after they have entered the cell. Thus, it prevents acidification in these vacuoles, thereby preventing the fusion of the viral envelope with the endosome membrane. As a result, viral genetic material is not transferred into the cytoplasm of the cell.
Also, rimantadine interrupts the transcription of the viral genome, i.e., inhibits the release of viral particles from the cell.
The use of the drug 2-3 days before and within 6-7 hours after the development of clinical manifestations of influenza A reduces the incidence, reduces the severity of symptoms and the degree of serological reaction. Some therapeutic activity of rimantadine is also noted when the drug is taken within 18 hours after the first signs of influenza appear.
Criteria for evaluating the therapeutic efficacy of rimantadine: duration of the main symptoms of the disease; the rate of disappearance of pathological disorders revealed by laboratory tests, if any occurred at the onset of the disease; absence / development of complications and / or side effects. According to clinical studies, Orvirem reduces the duration of the presence of the following main symptoms of influenza by 3.1-3.6 days: the duration of the temperature reaction, signs of intoxication, catarrhal symptoms in the nasopharynx. It also contributes to the rapid normalization of peripheral blood indices, improves the indices of specific and nonspecific immunity. With late treatment and relapses of influenza, Orvirem reduces the duration of the disease by 2 times and prevents the development of complications.
The criterion for assessing the preventive efficacy of rimantadine is its ability to prevent the development of the disease during an epidemic / outbreak of influenza in a group. Prophylactic efficacy was also judged by the effect of the drug on viral shedding in hospitalized children with influenza, and the incidence of nosocomial acute respiratory diseases among them. According to research data, preventive efficacy is assessed as excellent in 71.6% of patients, satisfactory - in 11.9%, unsatisfactory - in 16.5%. With the systematic administration of Orvirem for the purpose of prevention, the incidence of influenza in organized groups is reduced by 4-5 times.
After oral administration, rimantadine is absorbed almost completely slowly in the intestine. The maximum plasma concentration of the drug: 181 ng / ml - when taking 100 mg once a day, 416 ng / ml - when taking 100 mg twice a day.
Plasma protein binding is approximately 40%. The volume of distribution in children is 289 l / kg, in adults - 17-25 l / kg.
The concentration of rimantadine in the nasal secretion is about 50% higher than in the plasma.
The half-life is 24–36 hours. The drug is metabolized in the liver. It is excreted by the kidneys: unchanged - 15%, in the form of hydroxyl metabolites - 20%.
In patients with concomitant chronic renal failure, the half-life is doubled.
If the dose of Orvirem is not adjusted in proportion to the decrease in creatinine clearance, the drug can accumulate in toxic concentrations in elderly people and patients with renal failure.
Indications for use
According to the instructions, Orvirem is used for the prevention and early treatment of influenza A in children aged 1 year and older.
Prevention is advisable in the following cases:
- contact with sick people at home;
- spread of infection in closed groups (for example, in kindergarten);
- influenza A epidemic, due to the high risk of morbidity.
- acute and chronic kidney disease;
- acute liver disease;
- children's age up to 1 year;
- period of pregnancy and lactation;
- hypersensitivity to the drug.
Orvirem should be used with caution in children with epilepsy (including a history).
Instructions for the use of Orvirem: method and dosage
Orvirem syrup should be taken orally, after meals, with water.
Recommended treatment regimen for children 1–3 years old by day:
- 1st day: 2 hours spoon (10 ml / 20 mg) of syrup 3 times a day, the maximum dose is 60 mg;
- 2-3rd days: 2 hours spoon (10 ml / 20 mg) of syrup 2 times a day, maximum dose - 40 mg;
- 4th day: 2 hours of a spoon (10 ml / 20 mg) of syrup 1 time per day, the maximum dose is 20 mg.
Recommended treatment regimen for children 3-7 years old by day:
- 1st day: 3 hours spoon (15 ml / 30 mg) of syrup 3 times a day, the maximum dose is 90 mg;
- 2-3rd days: 3 hours spoon (15 ml / 30 mg) of syrup 2 times a day, the maximum dose is 60 mg;
- 4th day: 3 h spoonfuls (15 ml / 30 mg) of syrup once a day, the maximum dose is 30 mg.
Recommended treatment regimen for children 7-14 years old by day:
- 1st day: 4 hours of a spoon (20 ml / 40 mg) of syrup 3 times a day, the maximum dose is 120 mg;
- 2-3rd days: 4 hours spoon (20 ml / 40 mg) of syrup 2 times a day, maximum dose - 80 mg;
- 4th day: 4 hours spoons (20 ml / 40 mg) of syrup 1 time per day, the maximum dose is 40 mg.
Prophylactic appointment of Orvirem for children:
- children 1–3 years old: 10 ml 1 time per day;
- children 3–7 years old: 15 ml 1 time per day;
- children 7-14 years old: 20 ml once a day.
The duration of prophylactic administration of Orvirem is 10-15 days, depending on the focus of infection.
The maximum daily dose for children is 5 mg per kilogram of body weight.
Orvirem is generally well tolerated. In some cases, the following side effects occur:
- from the central nervous system: insomnia, dizziness, headache, impaired concentration, neurological reactions;
- from the digestive system: flatulence, epigastric pain, nausea, vomiting, anorexia;
- others: asthenia, allergic reactions (itching, skin rashes, urticaria), hyperbilirubinemia.
To date, no cases of overdose have been reported.
Orvirem can exacerbate concomitant chronic diseases.
Patients with epilepsy have an increased risk of developing an epileptic seizure while taking the drug.
The syrup contains 60% sucrose, this should be taken into account by patients with diabetes mellitus.
The appearance of viruses resistant to rimantadine is possible.
Influence on the ability to drive vehicles and complex mechanisms
Orvirem can affect the speed of reactions and the ability to concentrate.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
The use of Orvirem is contraindicated in pregnant and breastfeeding women.
It is forbidden to prescribe Orvirem syrup to children under 1 year old.
With impaired renal function
Orvirem is not prescribed for patients with acute and chronic kidney disease.
For violations of liver function
Orvirem is not prescribed for patients with acute liver disease.
Drugs that acidify urine (for example, sodium bicarbonate or acetazolamide) reduce the excretion of rimantadine by the kidneys, thereby increasing its effect.
Adsorbents, astringents and coating agents reduce the absorption of rimantadine.
Paracetamol and acetylsalicylic acid reduce the maximum concentration of rimantadine by 11%, cimetidine - its clearance by 18%.
Orvirem reduces the effectiveness of antiepileptic drugs, enhances the effect of caffeine.
Orvirem's analogues are Algirem, Remantadin, Remantadine tablets, Rimantadine Avexima, Rimantadine hydrochloride, Rimantadine Actitab.
Terms and conditions of storage
Store at a temperature not exceeding 25 ° C in a dark place.
The shelf life is 3 years.
Terms of dispensing from pharmacies
Dispensed by prescription.
Reviews about Orvirem
Reviews about Orvirem are mostly positive. They are left by parents, who usually use the drug to treat the flu in children: it speeds up the healing process and prevents the development of complications.
Negative reviews contain complaints about the development of side effects, including allergic reactions.
Taking syrup for prophylactic purposes is considered by many to be inappropriate and prefer other methods of strengthening immunity, mainly folk.
The price of Orvirem in pharmacies
The approximate price for Orvirem for 1 bottle of 100 ml is 262-320 rubles.
Orvirem: prices in online pharmacies
Orvirem 2 mg / ml syrup for children 100 ml 1 pc.
Orvirem syrup for children. 2mg / ml 100ml
Anna Kozlova Medical journalist About the author
Education: Rostov State Medical University, specialty "General Medicine".
Information about the drug is generalized, provided for informational purposes only and does not replace the official instructions. Self-medication is hazardous to health!