Table of contents:
- The keto diet
- Benefits of the keto diet
- Disadvantages and contraindications of the keto diet
- What foods are allowed?
- What foods are prohibited?
- Keto diet menu
- Useful Tips
Video: The Keto Diet - Menu, Reviews, Results, Tips
2023 Author: Rachel Wainwright | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-24 11:01
The keto diet
The keto diet, or ketogenic diet, was developed in the 1980s, at the height of bodybuilding's popularity, and was used by athletes to “dry” the body. There is an opinion that this food system was used back in the 20s of the last century - it was allegedly used in the complex therapy of diseases of the nervous system. Be that as it may, the keto diet is effective, and with its help, problematic layers of fat go away, which are difficult to get rid of on other diets.
The essence of the keto diet is to minimize the carbohydrate content in the diet, protein becomes the basis of nutrition. The fact is that carbohydrates are the main source of energy in the body. If they stop supplying, the process of obtaining energy from fat is triggered, during which fat is broken down to form ketone bodies. This state of the body is called ketosis. As a result, weight loss is not due to a decrease in muscle tissue or water excretion, but due to fat loss.
Basic rules of the keto diet:
- before it starts, you should starve for 2-3 days, and drink only clean non-carbonated water;
- from 3-4 days, products from the permitted list are gradually introduced into the diet;
- the daily diet should contain about 70% fat, 20% protein and 10% carbohydrates;
- The keto diet does not imply strict calorie counting, but it is desirable that this figure does not exceed 2000 kcal per day.
Benefits of the keto diet
For a week on a ketone diet, you can get rid of 4 kg of excess weight, and taking into account the previous 3-day fast - 6-7 kg. Plummet occurs by reducing body fat while protein intake supports muscle tissue. Among other things, it prevents severe sagging of the skin.
The keto diet improves health in certain diseases because ketosis is naturally the body's response to disease. So, the diet is sometimes recommended as a treatment for patients with epilepsy and some types of malignant tumors.
Disadvantages and contraindications of the keto diet
The keto diet is unbalanced, during which the body does not receive a number of vital substances. A lack of carbohydrates leads to a decrease in performance, a deterioration in mood, the appearance of a headache, shortness of breath.
Due to a lack of fiber, the work of the digestive tract worsens, nausea, discomfort in the epigastric region, and constipation may appear.
It is not recommended to stick to a ketone diet for more than 7 days.
The keto diet is contraindicated for people with diabetes mellitus, diseases of the endocrine, cardiovascular systems, kidneys and liver, cerebrovascular diseases. This food system is not suitable for pregnant and lactating women, children, adolescents and the elderly.
For any chronic illness, a doctor's consultation is required before a diet.
What foods are allowed?
- lard, bacon, loin, brisket, jamon, bacon;
- bird with skin;
- fish, especially fatty ones (halibut, trout, salmon, herring, mackerel);
- dairy and fermented milk products of high fat content (except for kefir and whole milk), fatty cheeses with a minimum content of carbohydrates;
- green vegetables, avocados, mushrooms;
- shirataki noodles, tofu;
- buckwheat, brown and wild rice;
- whole wheat bread;
- butter, unrefined vegetable oils.
Root vegetables, unsweetened fruits and berries, nuts and dark chocolate are allowed in minimal quantities.
You can drink tea and coffee without sugar, sometimes light alcoholic drinks (light beer, cider, natural dry wine).
What foods are prohibited?
- cereals (except for the permitted ones), pastries, all types of pasta;
- potatoes, beets, carrots;
- persimmon, dates, mangoes, grapes, bananas, apricots;
- sugar, honey, dried fruits;
- vegetable spreads, margarine, fat-free foods, sauces with added thickeners and sugar;
- industrial soft drinks.
Keto diet menu
Sample menu of the keto diet for 1 day:
|Breakfast||Toast with cheese, 2 hard boiled eggs, coffee.|
|Dinner||Fresh vegetable salad, 150 g of boiled chicken fillet, a slice of cheese.|
|Afternoon snack||A handful of almonds.|
|Dinner||150 g grilled salmon, cucumber and leafy salad.|
|Late supper||100 g of cottage cheese.|
Tip 1: While on the keto diet, it is advisable to take a preparation containing fiber, such as bran.
Tip 2: do not completely exclude carbohydrate foods from the diet, the recommended daily allowance is 100 g.
|Diet characteristic||final grade|
|Duration: 6-7 days||
3.5 out of 5
The action of the diet is based on a sharp restriction of carbohydrates in the diet in favor of proteins and fats, which triggers the process of ketosis, in which fat is broken down into fatty acids and ketone bodies. In addition to losing weight, this diet can help fight serious illness.
|Recommended frequency: once a year|
|Weight loss rate:|
|Variety of products:|
YouTube video related to the article:
Found a mistake in the text? Select it and press Ctrl + Enter.