Table of contents:
- Release form and composition
- Pharmacological properties
- Indications for use
- Instructions for the use of Kestin: method and dosage
- Side effects
- special instructions
- Use in the elderly
- Drug interactions
- Terms and conditions of storage
- Terms of dispensing from pharmacies
- Reviews about Kestin
- Price for Kestin in pharmacies
- Kestin: prices in online pharmacies
Video: Kestin - Instructions For Use, Price, Analogs, Reviews, Tablets, Syrup
Kestin: instructions for use and reviews
- 1. Release form and composition
- 2. Pharmacological properties
- 3. Indications for use
- 4. Contraindications
- 5. Method of application and dosage
- 6. Side effects
- 7. Overdose
- 8. Special instructions
- 9. Use in old age
- 10. Drug interactions
- 11. Analogs
- 12. Terms and conditions of storage
- 13. Terms of dispensing from pharmacies
- 14. Reviews
- 15. Price in pharmacies
Latin name: Kestine
ATX code: R06AX22
Active ingredient: Ebastine (Ebastine)
Producer: Nycomed Danmark ApS (Denmark)
Description and photo update: 2019-12-08
Prices in pharmacies: from 182 rubles.
Kestin is a blocker of H 1 -histamine receptors, antiallergic drug.
Release form and composition
- Film-coated tablets: round, white, engraved with "E10" (10 mg tablets) or "E20" (20 mg tablets) on one side (10 mg - 5 or 10 pcs. In a blister, in a cardboard box 1 blister; 20 mg - 10 pcs. In a blister, in a cardboard box 1 or 2 blisters);
- Lyophilized tablets: round, white or almost white (10 pcs. In a blister, 1 blister in a cardboard box);
- Syrup: colorless or slightly yellowish, transparent, with the smell of anise (60 or 120 mg in dark glass vials, in a cardboard box 1 vial complete with a measuring syringe).
The active substance is ebastine:
- 1 coated tablet - 10 or 20 mg;
- 1 freeze-dried tablet - 20 mg;
- 5 ml of syrup - 5 mg.
- Coated tablets: microcrystalline cellulose, magnesium stearate, corn starch, polyethylene glycol 6000, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, titanium dioxide, structured sodium carboxymethylcellulose, lactose monohydrate;
- Lyophilized tablets: gelatin, aspartame, mannitol, mint flavor;
- Syrup: neohesperidin dihydrochalcone, glycerol oxystearate, anethole, lactic acid 85%, sodium propyl parahydroxybenzoate, sodium hydroxide, glycerol, sorbitol solution 70%, dimethylpolysiloxane, sodium methyl parahydroxybenzoate, distilled water.
Kestin belongs to the category of H 1 -histamine receptor blockers. It has an anti-allergic effect, quickly eliminates tissue swelling, prevents spasms of bronchial smooth muscles caused by histamine, and reduces exudation. The drug quickly and for a long time eliminates the symptoms associated with allergic reactions: burning sensation of the skin and mucous membranes, itching. There is practically no side effect of sedation when using Kestin.
Ebastine belongs to the long-acting H 1 -histamine receptor blockers. After oral administration of the drug, a pronounced antiallergic effect is observed after 1 hour and lasts more than 48 hours. During the course of treatment with Kestin for 5 days, antihistamine activity persists for 72 hours due to the action of active metabolites. With long-term therapy, the blockade of peripheral H 1 -histamine receptors is maintained at a high level without the occurrence of tachyphylaxis.
The drug does not have a pronounced sedative and anticholinergic effect and does not penetrate the blood-brain barrier. Kestin does not change the QT interval on the electrocardiogram when taken at a dose of 100 mg, which is 5 times the standard daily dose (20 mg).
After oral administration, ebastine is rapidly absorbed and almost completely metabolized in the liver, forming the active metabolite carabastine. After a single dose of 20 mg of Kestin, the maximum content of carbastine in the blood plasma is observed after 1-3 hours and is equal to 157 ng / ml.
With daily intake of the drug in doses of 10–40 mg, the equilibrium concentration of ebastine is reached after 3-5 days, does not depend on the dose taken and is 130–160 ng / ml. Ebastine and carbastine bind to blood plasma proteins by more than 95%.
The half-life of carabastine varies from 15 to 19 hours. 66% of the taken dose of the drug is excreted in the form of conjugates through the kidneys.
Food intake does not significantly affect the clinical effects of Kestin. In elderly patients, pharmacokinetic parameters do not change significantly. In renal failure, the half-life increases to 23-26 hours, and in hepatic failure - up to 27 hours. However, the level of the drug in the blood does not exceed therapeutic values.
Indications for use
- Urticaria (including those caused by household, food, epidermal, medicinal, pollen and insect allergens, as well as exposure to cold, sun, etc.);
- Seasonal and / or perennial allergic rhinitis (caused by food, household, medicinal, epidermal and / or pollen allergens);
- Other allergic conditions and diseases caused by increased histamine release.
For all dosage forms of Kestin:
- Hypersensitivity to drug components.
Additionally for coated tablets:
- Lactose intolerance, lactase deficiency, glucose-galactose malabsorption;
- Children up to age 12.
Additionally for lyophilized tablets:
- Children up to age 15.
According to the instructions, Kestin should be used with caution in patients with hypokalemia, increased QT interval, hepatic and / or renal insufficiency.
In the form of a syrup, in addition, the drug is prescribed with caution to children under 6 years of age.
Instructions for the use of Kestin: method and dosage
Kestin should be taken orally 1 time per day at any convenient time, without reference to meals:
- Tablets in a dose of 10 mg: adults and children over 12 years old - 1-2 pcs. per day;
- Tablets in a dose of 20 mg: adults and adolescents over 15 years old - ½-1 tablet per day, children 12-15 years old - ½ tablet.
In this dosage form, Kestin should be kept in the mouth until it is completely dissolved, regardless of meals. There is no need to take pills.
Lyophilized tablets are prescribed for adults and adolescents over 15 years of age, 1 pc. Once a day.
When handling the drug, it is recommended to adhere to the following precautions to avoid damage to the tablets: do not remove the tablet from the blister by pressing; the package must be opened by carefully lifting the free edge of the protective film, then, removing the film, carefully squeeze out the tablet.
Kestin should be taken orally 1 time per day at any convenient time, without reference to meals.
- Children 6-12 years old: 5 ml;
- Teenagers 12-15 years old: 10 ml;
- Teenagers over 15 years old and adults: 10-20 ml.
The maximum daily dose of 20 mg can only be prescribed by a doctor.
- Nervous system: 1-3.7% - drowsiness, headache; less than 1% - insomnia;
- Digestive system: 1-3.7% - dryness of the oral mucosa; less than 1% - nausea, dyspepsia, abdominal pain;
- Respiratory system: less than 1% - rhinitis, sinusitis;
- Others: less than 1% - allergic reactions, asthenic syndrome.
Signs of a moderate effect on the central nervous system (increased fatigue) and the autonomic nervous system (dryness of the oral mucosa) are observed only when taking Kestin in high doses (300–500 mg, which is 15–25 times higher than the recommended dose).
In case of an overdose, it is necessary to flush the stomach and constantly monitor the vital functions of the body, as well as prescribe symptomatic treatment. The specific antidote for ebastine is unknown.
For children 6-12 years old, it is preferable to prescribe Kestin in the form of a syrup (5 mg per day) or coated tablets (at a dose of 10 mg (1 tablet 10 mg or ½ tablet 20 mg) per day).
The daily dose for patients with impaired liver function should not exceed 10 mg.
In therapeutic doses, the drug does not adversely affect the ability to concentrate and the speed of reactions. However, in case of the development of side effects from the central nervous system, it is recommended to be careful when driving and performing potentially dangerous types of work.
Use in the elderly
In elderly patients, there is no need to adjust the dose of Kestin.
Kestin should not be used simultaneously with erythromycin and ketoconazole, as there is a possibility of prolongation of the QT interval.
Ebastine does not interact with diazepam, cimetidine, indirect anticoagulants, theophylline, ethanol and ethanol-containing drugs.
Kestin's analogs are: Fenistil, Diphenhydramine, Diazolin, Dialin, Diprazin, Pipolfen, Suprastin, Supradin, Tavegil, Bravegil, Semprex, Astelong, Astemizol, Gismanal, Mibiron, Stemiz, Zodak, Tsetrin, Allertek, Claritin, Claritin Loradin, Loratadin, Tyrlo, Intal, Cromohexal, Lekrolin, Tiled Mint.
Terms and conditions of storage
Store out of the reach of children at temperatures: coated tablets - up to 30 ºС, lyophilized tablets - up to 25 ºС, syrup - 15-25 ºС.
The shelf life of film-coated tablets and lyophilized tablets is 3 years, syrup is 2 years.
Terms of dispensing from pharmacies
Available without a prescription.
Reviews about Kestin
The drug is widely used for the prevention and treatment of allergic diseases. Positive reviews about Kestin prevail: for many patients diagnosed with year-round or seasonal allergic diseases, he helps to cope with unpleasant symptoms.
However, for some patients, the drug is not suitable and is ineffective in preventing allergic reactions and combating their manifestations. Therefore, doctors recommend choosing the Kestin treatment regimen individually for each patient.
Most patients, when taking the drug in the recommended doses, do not experience side effects, but there are isolated reports that in some patients they manifested themselves in the form of dry mouth, lethargy and drowsiness.
Price for Kestin in pharmacies
The approximate price for Kestin in the form of film-coated tablets with a dosage of 10 mg is 216-237 rubles (per pack 5 pcs.) Or 377-407 rubles (per pack 10 pcs.). You can buy the drug in this dosage form with a dosage of 20 mg for 457–497 rubles (10 pcs per pack).
Lyophilized tablets Kestin will cost about 497-514 rubles (10 pcs per pack). The syrup is not available commercially.
Kestin: prices in online pharmacies
Kestin 10 mg film-coated tablets 5 pcs.
Kestin tablets p.p. 10mg 5 pcs.
Kestin 20 mg lyophilized tablets 10 pcs.
Kestin 10 mg film-coated tablets 10 pcs.
Kestin tablets p.p. 10mg 10 pcs.
Kestin 20 mg film-coated tablets 10 pcs.
Kestin tablets p.p. 20mg 10 pcs.
Kestin tablets lyophilizir 20mg 10 pcs.
|See all offers from pharmacies|
Anna Kozlova Medical journalist About the author
Education: Rostov State Medical University, specialty "General Medicine".
Information about the drug is generalized, provided for informational purposes only and does not replace the official instructions. Self-medication is hazardous to health!