Table of contents:
- Release form
- Merkazolil's analogs
- pharmachologic effect
- Indications for use of Mercazolil
- Instructions for use
- Side effect
- special instructions
- Storage term and conditions
- Mercazolil: prices in online pharmacies
Video: Mercazolil - Instructions, Reviews, Analogues
2023 Author: Rachel Wainwright | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-11-26 05:19
Instructions for use:
- 1. Release form
- 2. Analogs
- 3. Pharmacological action
- 4. Indications for use
- 5. Instructions for use
- 6. Contraindications
- 7. Side effects
- 8. Special instructions
- 9. Terms and conditions of storage
Prices in online pharmacies:
from 26 rubles.
Mercazolil (international non-proprietary name - thiamazole) is a tablet drug related to antagonists of thyroid hormones. The antithyroid properties of the drug are in demand in medicine for the treatment of diseases associated with hyperfunction of the thyroid gland.
Mercazolil is available in the form of tablets of 40, 50 and 100 pieces in consumer packaging. The content of thiamazole in one tablet is 5 mg.
Under the trade name "Merkazolil", the drug is produced by three factories: domestic KhFC "Akrikhin" and OJSC "Marbiopharm" and the Ukrainian pharmaceutical company "Zdorovye". By the way, the packaging of the drug at the rate of 40 tablets per pack is present in the assortment line only from the Ukrainian manufacturer.
Mercazolil is not an everyday drug. This explains the relative scarcity of the assortment of Mercazolil analogues on the Russian pharmaceutical market. Already in a very specific niche is this drug: it is not an antipyretic or antiallergic agent, which are in the home medicine cabinet of almost every family. More specifically, in Russian pharmacies you can find only two analogues of Mercazolil:
- Tyrosol (Germany). By the way, this manufacturer has mastered the production of thiamazole at a dose of 10 mg;
- Tiamazol-Filofarm (Germany).
Mercazolil inhibits the synthesis of hormones secreted by the thyroid gland: triiodothyronine (referred to in the medical literature as T3) and thyroxine (T4). A similar inhibitory effect of the drug is associated with the suppression of the activity of peroxidase, an enzyme on which the saturation of thyronine with iodine depends (that is, in other words, the synthesis of thyroxine and triiodothyronine). As a consequence of the above process, the metabolic rate in the human body decreases, the loss of iodine by the thyroid gland is activated. Against this background, the secretion of thyroid-stimulating hormone from the pituitary gland increases, which, according to reviews of Mercazolil and its analogues, leads to some increase in the thyroid gland.
The drug is well absorbed in the gastrointestinal tract and subsequently accumulates in the tissues of the thyroid gland. The action of the medicine lasts for 24 hours. After two days, the drug is completely excreted in the urine. It should be noted that traces of it are found in breast milk (see below for the use of Mercazolil during lactation).
Indications for use of Mercazolil
According to the instructions for Mercazolil and reviews about it, this drug can be successfully used for the following diseases and pathological conditions:
- thyrotoxicosis (alternative names - toxic diffuse goiter, Graves' disease). The disease is associated with hyperfunction of the thyroid gland, as a result of which toxicosis develops due to an excess of thyroid hormones. This condition is accompanied by hypertrophic changes in the gland;
- as part of the preparatory measures preceding surgical intervention for thyrotoxicosis;
- in preparation for radioiodine therapy, and then in the latency period (4-6 months), until the iodine begins to act;
- in the prevention of thyrotoxicosis in the treatment with iodine, including iodine X-ray contrast preparations;
- toxic adenoma of the thyroid gland (alternative name - Plummer's disease). The pathogenesis of the disease is similar to thyrotoxicosis, however, the etiology is somewhat different. Excessive production of thyroid hormones in this case is a consequence of a benign enlargement of the thyroid gland (and not vice versa);
- thyrotoxic crisis (life-threatening complication of thyrotoxicosis).
Instructions for use
According to the instructions, Mercazolil is taken after meals. It is not recommended to chew the tablet; it is better to drink it with a sufficient amount of liquid to swallow. The daily dose is usually divided into 3 doses. The dose, dosing frequency and duration of treatment depend on the diagnosis and goals of antithyroid therapy. With mild thyrotoxicosis, Mercazolil is prescribed in an amount of 3 tablets per day, with average thyrotoxicosis - 4-6 tablets, with severe thyrotoxicosis - 8. A marker for reducing the dose of the drug is the return of the thyroid gland to its usual size and productivity, after which the patient is transferred to a maintenance therapy involving taking 0.5 - 2 tablets per day for one or two doses.
Reviews of Mercazolil, summarized by pharmacologists at the stage of clinical trials, gave grounds for including the following contraindications in the instructions for Mercazolil:
- individual intolerance to the drug;
- the period of breastfeeding (the drug passes into breast milk);
- reduced number of leukocytes, granulocytes, neutrophils.
At the same time, there are indications according to which Mercazolil can be taken, but with a great deal of caution:
- in the presence of a very large goiter before its surgical treatment;
- liver pathology;
- together with cardiac glycosides (digoxin, strophanthin), anticoagulants and aminophylline;
- during pregnancy.
Side effects of Mercazolil are largely dose-dependent, therefore they are observed in the first 1-2 months of treatment (the period of active saturation with the drug, when its doses are high). Most often noted:
- a decrease in the number of leukocytes - leukopenia;
- allergic manifestations (rash, itching);
- temporary slight rise in temperature (maximum - up to 38 ° С);
- soreness of the joints;
- hair loss;
- weakness, headaches, nausea.
There is a possibility of more severe consequences of drug treatment (there are also such reviews about Mercazolil), but this happens extremely rarely. Examples include aplastic anemia, nephrotic and lupus-like syndromes, cholestatic hepatitis.
Mercazolil does not tend to cause intoxication of the body in case of an overdose. Symptoms of chronic abuse appear more often, which consist in persistent hypothyroidism and thyroid hypertrophy. This condition is controlled by discontinuation of the drug and, sometimes, by the appointment of levothyroxine to create hormonal balance.
The instruction for Mercazolil offers the patient a list of symptoms, in the event of which they should immediately stop taking the drug and inform their doctor. This information is important for the consumer, which would be appropriate to share within the framework of this article. So, these are the signs:
- feverish condition, accompanied by sore throat, chills and local abscesses;
- bleeding or subcutaneous hematomas of unknown etiology;
- total skin rash and itching;
- persistent nausea and vomiting;
- icteric coloration of the skin and sclera;
- severe abdominal pain;
- a state of complete collapse.
Admission Mercazolil provides for regular blood tests (before treatment, during treatment and during maintenance therapy).
The sale of Mercazolil and analogues from pharmacies is possible only with a doctor's prescription.
Storage term and conditions
Mercazolil can be stored at room temperature (15-25 ° C). The shelf life of the drug is 5 years.
Mercazolil: prices in online pharmacies
Mercazolil 5 mg tablets 50 pcs.
Mercazolil 5 mg tablets 50 pcs.
Information about the drug is generalized, provided for informational purposes only and does not replace the official instructions. Self-medication is hazardous to health!
Allergic cough in an adult is a common pathology that requires increased attention, as it can turn into a number of diseases of allergic etiology
A plastic surgeon is a specialist who, with the help of surgical intervention, eliminates deformations of organs and tissues, defects on the body surface
Adonis is a herbaceous plant from the genus of buttercups. The pharmaceutical industry produces on the basis of adonis tincture and tablets of Adonizid, which are prescribed for cardiac neurosis, vegetative vascular dystonia, etc
The Ilizarov apparatus is designed for long-term fixation, stretching and / or compression of bone fragments. He fixes a non-union fracture. The Ilizarov apparatus helps the bone grow together without displacement of the bone tissue. When using it, there is no need to apply plaster to the broken area of the joints
The sweet diet differs from most diets in that it includes fast carbohydrates, which makes it attractive for those with a sweet tooth. At the same time, the diet is quite effective