Table of contents:
- Corset for the spine with a hernia of the lumbar spine
- How to choose
- How to wear
- When the corset is ineffective
Video: Corset For The Spine With A Hernia Of The Lumbar Spine: Tips For Choosing
2023 Author: Rachel Wainwright | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-24 11:01
Corset for the spine with a hernia of the lumbar spine
The content of the article:
- How to choose
- How to wear
- When the corset is ineffective
The corset for the spine with a hernia of the lumbar spine belongs to specialized orthopedic devices and serves for additional fixation of the damaged spine. It performs a number of functions:
- The general and local load on the spinal column decreases. This reduces the pressure on the intervertebral discs and improves metabolic processes in tissues (acceleration of regeneration and restoration of the normal structure of damaged areas of the disc).
- Relieves pain syndrome (pain does not go away completely, but dulls). This is achieved by fixing the vertebrae in a physiological state and preventing their movements to the sides (projection of the neurovascular bundles).
- Restoration of blood circulation by reducing vascular compression.
- Elimination of muscle spasm (one of the characteristic symptoms of a hernia). With prolonged use of the corset, muscle atrophy may occur, therefore breaks in use are necessary to restore muscle tone.
- Aligns the vertebrae along the axis, so that they stop squeezing the surrounding tissues.
Correctly selected corset can significantly alleviate the condition with a hernia of the lumbar spine.
The type of orthopedic device is chosen by the doctor on the basis of instrumental diagnostics and establishing the severity of the disease (mild, moderate, severe).
Depending on the hardness, there are:
|Soft||It is not used for diseases that cause severe deformation of the spinal column (including hernias). It is mainly a warming agent, applicable for neurological diseases with severe pain syndrome (sciatica).|
|Semi-rigid||This option can be used for small hernial protrusions. With its help, muscle spasm is removed and additional fixation of the spine of medium hardness is provided. It has a micro-massage effect.|
They are used for hernias of large sizes for rigid fixation of the spinal column (almost 100% unloading). The same type is prescribed in the early postoperative period to reduce pressure on the operated area (provides a sharp restriction of movement). When worn for a long time, it causes muscle atrophy and requires mandatory rehabilitation (exercise therapy) after the completion of the course.
With a hernia of the lumbar spine, back braces are a combined form of orthopedic devices, since in addition to the lumbar they capture the nearby zone of the spinal column (thoracolumbar or lumbosacral spine).
There are several types of orthopedic devices for different parts of the spine:
|Orthoses and braces for the cervical spine||Philadelphia orthosis, Philadelphia overtracheal orthosis||Provide full fixation of the cervical segment (prevent flexion / extension and, as a result, trauma). Collar-shaped. They are hard and soft (the choice depends on the specific pathology).|
|For the thoracic spine||Posture Corrector with two stiffeners||
They are used more often to correct posture (kyphosis, scoliosis). They are presented with an elastic belt and a linen back with two stiffeners. Posture is supported by special straps. Fastens with Velcro. The basic course is at least 6 hours a day (the straps are gradually pulled tighter).
For the thoracolumbar
|Orthopedic corset with four stiffeners, six stiffeners||Most often used for hernias of the lumbar spine. They are a wide elastic belt that covers two parts of the spinal column. Reinforced with 4 (+/-) metal plates for structural rigidity. Attaches with adjustable buckles. Depending on the type, it may have straps for additional fixation. They are rigid (the doctor helps to put on the corset correctly) and semi-rigid (independent use by the patient after consultation with a specialist is permissible).|
|Corsets for the lumbosacral spine||Orthopedic elastic corset with braces||This area is relatively difficult to fix (with hernias, the effectiveness is inferior to the previous version). The structure is similar to the previous version. The main function is to provide additional fixation of the spine.|
How to choose
In each case, the orthopedic device is selected strictly individually and after consultation with a specialist, but there are some general provisions:
- It is necessary to choose the correct level of rigidity (depending on the clinical and instrumental manifestations of the pathology). So, with pronounced dystrophic changes in the vertebrae, only a rigid structure is indicated for treatment.
- Use a custom size. If the size is not suitable, the therapeutic effect is lost.
- Wear in accordance with strict guidelines (6-8 hours a day, with breaks at night). The duration of use is selected by the doctor (X-ray control and correction, if necessary, once every 2-3 weeks).
- Use only in conjunction with other methods of treatment (physiotherapy and exercise therapy.). Orthopedic devices are indicated as an integral part of therapy or rehabilitation after surgical treatment of intervertebral hernias.
- Optimally select orthopedic devices with high quality materials (hypoallergenic, natural, breathable). This helps to avoid a number of complications that are caused by synthetic materials (itching, rashes, irritation of the skin).
- Select products taking into account the profession. For people whose work is associated with increased physical activity, corsets with additional fasteners and harnesses are better suited (less risk of slipping and unbuttoning).
- When selecting some corsets from the thoracolumbar group of products, it is important to take into account the belonging to the female or male sex (additional adjustable fasteners in the chest area for women).
If there is no visible effect after X-ray control, replacement of the orthosis is indicated.
To choose the right corset, you should consult your doctor
How to wear
There are some peculiarities in use:
- The corset should be removed and put on in the supine position to ensure minimal pressure on the spine.
- Regardless of the characteristics of the hernia, the orthosis is not worn at night (even in severe forms of the disease).
- Hard products are shown to be worn no more than 2 hours, semi-hard for 6 hours, soft for 8 hours.
- Must be worn during physical activity.
- Fix in accordance with the doctor's recommendations (do not squeeze the tissue).
When the corset is ineffective
In severe forms of intervertebral hernias with total destruction of the disc and vertebrae, immediate surgical treatment is indicated (orthopedic devices and other types of conservative therapy are included exclusively at the postoperative stage).
We offer for viewing a video on the topic of the article.
Anna Kozlova Medical journalist About the author
Education: Rostov State Medical University, specialty "General Medicine".
Found a mistake in the text? Select it and press Ctrl + Enter.