Table of contents:
Video: Orthopedic Pillow For Cervical Osteochondrosis: Advice From Doctors
2023 Author: Rachel Wainwright | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-06-01 00:39
Orthopedic pillow for cervical osteochondrosis
The content of the article:
- Doctor's advice
An orthopedic pillow for cervical osteochondrosis is one of the elements of supportive therapy (refers to auxiliary orthopedic products).
Positive aspects of using:
- It has a supportive function and prevents excessive bending in the cervical lordosis area (fixes the head and neck in the correct position).
- Removes morning stiffness and soreness.
- Prevents further displacement of the intervertebral disc relative to the articular surface of the vertebrae.
- It somewhat reduces compression on the neurovascular bundle and, as a result, restores normal blood circulation in the brain (prevention of ischemia and hypoxia).
- Relieves reflex muscle spasm.
A person notes a positive effect after a short period of time (after the first week). In addition to the pillow, patients are advised to purchase a special orthopedic mattress in order to relax the muscles and create proper support for other parts of the spinal column.
Crescent-shaped orthopedic pillows are best for people who are used to sleeping on their backs
Options for orthopedic sleep pillows for osteochondrosis are presented in the table (classification depending on the type of filler).
|View||Characteristic||On the picture|
|Memory (memory foam)||
The most modern type of product is the best option for osteochondrosis.
The composition includes biofoam (it consists of specially processed castor oil) - a highly elastic structure that has a cellular structure and completely repeats the contours of the body (“remembers”). Thanks to the memory effect, there is a most natural, constant and physiological angle of inclination for this particular person. The pillow does not return to its original position after use (only if shaken).
Has high strength (service life up to 10 years).
It can take various forms:
· Rectangle with a uniform surface;
· Crescent moon.
Refers to natural materials (synthetic additives no more than 15%). After use, the pillow returns to its original shape. Has antibacterial and hypoallergenic effect. Differs in a somewhat specific smell. Cannot be used on people who are allergic to latex.
Service life over 15 years (extremely resistant to various external influences).
|More often in the form of a roller|
Refers to 100% natural fillers. Effectively relieves pain syndrome (good balance of density and elasticity). The pressure on the pillow is distributed evenly. Provides a massage effect. There is a specific noise during use.
Validity period no more than 3 years.
|In any form|
It is made from plant stems using special chemical and mechanical processing. In addition to bamboo, the filler may include a synthetic winterizer, holofiber. Refers to hypoallergenic. It is more often used in the prevention of disease, has a relatively low therapeutic effectiveness. Unlike other species, it is relatively soft.
Has some antibacterial properties. Convenient for children.
Short service life (up to 2 years).
|More often in the form of a rectangle with a flat surface|
Exact repetition of the curves of the cervical spine. The chemical structure is similar to latex, but has a higher elasticity. Has a pleasant cooling surface. No smell. Does not have a pronounced memory effect (not suitable for all poses due to the high height of 10-12 cm).
Service life up to 10 years.
|More often pillows have a wavy surface|
- standard size 40 x 50 or 50 x 70, for children - 20 x 30;
- height for sleeping on the back 6–10 cm;
- height for sleeping on the side 12 cm;
- height for sleeping on the stomach less than 5 cm.
- Roller. Has slight thickenings at the edges and a depression in the center.
- Crescent moon. It has a lunate shape and captures well the cervical bend of the spine.
- A rectangle with a flat surface. The classic version of the product.
- Pillow with a recess on the side. Used for people who sleep on their side most of the time.
- A pillow with an uneven, undulating surface. The most anatomical type of products that almost completely repeat the natural curves of the spinal column.
Sleeping on an orthopedic pillow is also recommended for people from risk groups (aged patients, for example) who have no confirmed osteochondrosis.
Wave-shaped orthopedic pillow more closely matches the anatomical shape of the spine
Choosing a pillow to relieve symptoms of osteochondrosis can be a long and laborious process, since it is not always possible to choose the right option right away. Many factors influence the choice: age, degree of disease progression, comorbidities, favorite sleeping position.
Therefore, it is reasonable to heed the advice of experts who help to choose the right product:
- The relationship between height and sensations. Until the moment of purchase, it is recommended to test the product and, while maintaining pain impulses, tension in the upper segment of the spine, refuse to purchase it.
- Taking into account the shape of the product. Crescent-shaped pillows are the most effective for the treatment of osteochondrosis, since they provide reliable fixation in the correct position and evenly redistribute the load. Rectangular pillows have no restrictions on the sleeping position (the crescent moon is most effective in the supine position), but they are less effective in use.
- No deformation of the product even after prolonged use. When choosing a pillow, it is necessary to take this factor into account and choose the most optimal one in each case.
- Consideration of material and anamnesis. With a burdened allergic anamnesis, it is recommended to choose products of a hypoallergenic nature.
- Taking into account the rigidity of the structure. It is not recommended to use soft products (the necessary functionality is lost). If there are concomitant pathologies (arthrosis, chondrosis), you should not purchase a high-density product. Direct dependence on the posture in sleep: if a person sleeps on his side most of the time, it is hard; on the back - medium hard; on the stomach - soft.
- Matching the width of the product and the width of the shoulders. The width of the product should exceed the shoulder frame by 1-2 cm.
- Assessment of the strength and wear resistance of the material. Since the product is in constant use, durable materials are recommended that will not be subject to rapid wear.
- You should purchase products that have been clinically tested and proven to be effective in the treatment of osteochondrosis.
Sleeping on an orthopedic pillow is also useful for healthy people at risk for osteochondrosis
When choosing a product, it is important to consider four main factors:
- preservation of vertebral bends;
- relieving muscle spasm;
- maintaining a single line between head and body;
- fixation of the vertebrae along the axis of the spinal column.
You should not rely entirely on positive reviews and, having purchased a pillow, refuse other treatment, since orthopedic products have only an auxiliary function and are not able to completely relieve pain, spasm and other manifestations of the disease. The effect is achieved only in combination with classical treatment (medications, physiotherapy, exercise therapy, massage, surgical techniques).
We offer for viewing a video on the topic of the article.
Anna Kozlova Medical journalist About the author
Education: Rostov State Medical University, specialty "General Medicine".
Found a mistake in the text? Select it and press Ctrl + Enter.