Table of contents:
- Release form and composition
- Pharmacological properties
- Indications for use
- Instructions for the use of Lopedium: method and dosage
- Side effects
- special instructions
- Application during pregnancy and lactation
- Pediatric use
- With impaired renal function
- For violations of liver function
- Use in the elderly
- Drug interactions
- Terms and conditions of storage
- Terms of dispensing from pharmacies
- Reviews about Lopedium
- Price for Lopedium in pharmacies
- Lopedium: prices in online pharmacies
Video: Lopedium - Instructions For Use, Price, Reviews, Analogues, Tablets
2023 Author: Rachel Wainwright | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-06-04 23:24
Lopedium: instructions for use and reviews
- 1. Release form and composition
- 2. Pharmacological properties
- 3. Indications for use
- 4. Contraindications
- 5. Method of application and dosage
- 6. Side effects
- 7. Overdose
- 8. Special instructions
- 9. Application during pregnancy and lactation
- 10. Use in childhood
- 11. In case of impaired renal function
- 12. For violations of liver function
- 13. Use in the elderly
- 14. Drug interactions
- 15. Analogs
- 16. Terms and conditions of storage
- 17. Terms of dispensing from pharmacies
- 18. Reviews
- 19. Price in pharmacies
Latin name: Lopedium
ATX code: A07DA03
Active ingredient: Loperamide (Loperamide)
Producer: GmbH Salyutas Pharma (Germany)
Description and photo update: 2019-14-08
Prices in pharmacies: from 21 rubles.
Lopedium is a drug used to treat symptomatic diarrhea.
Release form and composition
Lopedium is available in two dosage forms:
- Capsules: hard gelatinous, with a gray body and a dark green lid; contents of capsules - white homogeneous powder (in blisters of 10 pcs., 1-3, 5 blisters in a cardboard box);
- Tablets: round, almost white or white; on the one hand - convex, on the other - the surface of the tablet is beveled to the risk (in blisters of 10 pcs., 1-3, 5 blisters in a cardboard box).
1 capsule contains:
- Active ingredient: loperamide - 2 mg (as hydrochloride);
- Auxiliary components: lactose monohydrate - 127 mg, talc - 9 mg, corn starch - 40 mg, magnesium stearate - 2 mg.
- Body: gelatin - 28.33 mg, black iron oxide (III) (E172) - 0.12 mg, titanium dioxide - 0.35 mg;
- Cap: gelatin - 18.68 mg, yellow iron (III) oxide (E131) - 0.23 mg, blue dye (E131) - 0.03 mg, black iron (III) oxide (E172) - 0.068 mg, titanium dioxide (E171) - 0.192 mg.
The composition of 1 tablet includes:
- Active ingredient: loperamide - 2 mg (as hydrochloride);
- Auxiliary components: lactose monohydrate - 88.15 mg, sodium starch glycolate - 3.5 mg, calcium hydrogen phosphate dihydrate - 46 mg, colloidal silicon dioxide - 0.6 mg, corn starch - 8 mg, magnesium stearate - 1.75 mg.
Loperamide binds to opioid receptors in the intestinal wall and inhibits the release of prostaglandins and acetylcholine, which leads to a decrease in the tone and motility of intestinal smooth muscles. This substance slows down peristalsis, contributes to an increase in the transit time of intestinal contents, an increase in the tone of the anal sphincter, the retention of feces, a decrease in the frequency of bowel movements and a decrease in the urge to defecate.
The effect comes on quickly and lasts from 4 to 6 hours.
It is metabolized during the first passage through the liver, which leads to the low bioavailability of loperamide in the case of oral administration. The maximum concentration in blood plasma is reached in 3-5 hours.
Loperamide passes through the blood-brain barrier in trace amounts, which is not a clinically significant factor. The half-life is 7-15 hours. 1/3 of the active substance is excreted unchanged, and 2/3 through the intestines in the form of metabolites. Up to 2% of loperamide is excreted unchanged through the kidneys.
Indications for use
- Acute and chronic diarrhea of allergic, drug, radiation and emotional genesis (symptomatic therapy);
- Diarrhea of infectious origin (as an adjuvant);
- Diarrhea associated with a change in the quality composition of food, diet, metabolic and absorption disorders;
- Stool regulation (with ileostomy).
- Intestinal obstruction;
- Ulcerative colitis (with exacerbation);
- Diarrhea associated with acute pseudomembranous enterocolitis;
- Dysentery and other infections of the gastrointestinal tract (as monotherapy);
- I trimester of pregnancy and lactation;
- Age up to 6 years;
- Hypersensitivity to drug components.
In hepatic insufficiency, Lopedium should be used with caution.
Instructions for the use of Lopedium: method and dosage
Lopedium is taken orally, swallowing capsules or tablets without chewing, and washed down with water (100 ml).
The dosage regimen is determined by age:
- Adults: the initial dose is 4 mg, then (in the case of loose stools) the drug is taken 2 mg after each bowel movement. The maximum dose is 16 mg per day;
- Children from 6 years of age: 2 mg (in case of loose stools) after each act of defecation. The maximum dose is 6 mg per day.
If there is no stool for more than 12 hours or after stool normalization, therapy should be discontinued.
- Digestive system: constipation, gastralgia, intestinal colic, dry mouth, vomiting, nausea; very rarely - intestinal obstruction;
- Central Nervous System: headache, insomnia or drowsiness, dizziness;
- Allergic reactions: skin rash.
Symptoms: intestinal obstruction, urinary retention, depression of the central nervous system (impaired coordination, stupor, miosis, drowsiness, respiratory depression, muscle hypertonicity).
Treatment: antidote - naloxone. Given that the time of action of naloxone is shorter than that of loperamide, repeated administration of the antidote is possible.
Medical supervision is indicated (especially during the first 48 hours).
If there is no improvement in the condition after 2 days from the moment of the start of taking Lopedium, it is necessary to clarify the diagnosis and exclude the presence of an infectious genesis of diarrhea.
If constipation or bloating develops, therapy should be discontinued.
Patients with functional disorders of the liver need to carefully monitor the signs of toxic damage to the central nervous system.
During therapy, the loss of electrolytes and fluids should be replenished.
Each capsule or tablet of Lopedium corresponds to 0.01 XE (bread unit).
If dizziness or drowsiness develops, one should refrain from driving and operating machinery.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
According to the instructions, Lopedium is contraindicated for use in the first trimester of pregnancy. In the II and III trimesters and during lactation, you should consult your doctor before using Lopedium. There is no information on the embryotoxic and teratogenic effects of the drug, however, during pregnancy, the drug should be prescribed if the potential benefit of treatment for the mother outweighs the expected risk to the fetus.
Lopedium is excreted in breast milk in small quantities, so its use during breastfeeding is prohibited.
Lopedium is contraindicated for the treatment of patients under the age of 6 years.
With impaired renal function
No dose adjustment is required in renal failure.
For violations of liver function
In hepatic impairment, the drug should be used with caution.
Use in the elderly
When treating elderly patients, dose adjustment is not required.
No clinically significant interactions of Lopedium with other drugs have been identified.
Analogs of Lopedium are: Loflatil, Usara, Imodium, Stoperan, Loperamide Hydrochloride, Loperamide, Lorperamid-Akrikhin, Lopermid Grindeks, Diara, Vero-Loperamide.
Terms and conditions of storage
Keep out of reach of children at temperatures up to 25 ° C.
The shelf life is 5 years.
Terms of dispensing from pharmacies
Available without a prescription.
Reviews about Lopedium
Almost all users leave positive reviews about Lopedium: the drug quickly enough (after 1-2 doses) brings the stool back to normal, and its cost is relatively low.
Reports of the development of allergic reactions or side effects are extremely rare.
Price for Lopedium in pharmacies
The approximate price for Lopedium is: 10 tablets - 65 rubles, 10 capsules - 35 rubles.
Lopedium: prices in online pharmacies
Lopedium 2 mg capsule 10 pcs.
Lopedium capsules 2mg 10 pcs.
Lopedium tablets 2mg 10 pcs.
Lopedium 2 mg tablets 10 pcs.
Anna Kozlova Medical journalist About the author
Education: Rostov State Medical University, specialty "General Medicine".
Information about the drug is generalized, provided for informational purposes only and does not replace the official instructions. Self-medication is hazardous to health!