Table of contents:
- Release form and composition
- Pharmacological properties
- Indications for use
- Ospin, instructions for use: method and dosage
- Side effects
- special instructions
- Application during pregnancy and lactation
- Pediatric use
- With impaired renal function
- For violations of liver function
- Drug interactions
- Terms and conditions of storage
- Terms of dispensing from pharmacies
- Reviews about Ospin
- Ospin price in pharmacies
Video: Ospin - Instructions For Use, Price, Antibiotic Analogues, Reviews
Ospin: instructions for use and reviews
- 1. Release form and composition
- 2. Pharmacological properties
- 3. Indications for use
- 4. Contraindications
- 5. Method of application and dosage
- 6. Side effects
- 7. Overdose
- 8. Special instructions
- 9. Application during pregnancy and lactation
- 10. Use in childhood
- 11. In case of impaired renal function
- 12. For violations of liver function
- 13. Drug interactions
- 14. Analogs
- 15. Terms and conditions of storage
- 16. Terms of dispensing from pharmacies
- 17. Reviews
- 18. Price in pharmacies
Latin name: Ospen
ATX code: J01CE02
Active ingredient: phenoxymethylpenicillin (Phenoxymethylpenicillin)
Producer: Biochemie, GmbH (Austria)
Description and photo update: 2019-10-07
Ospin is an antibacterial drug of the penicillin group.
Release form and composition
- tablets (20 pcs. in blisters, 50 blisters in a cardboard box);
- coated tablets: (10 pcs. in blisters, in a cardboard box 100 blisters; 6 pcs. in blisters, in a cardboard box 2 blisters);
- granules for the preparation of a suspension for oral administration, orange-yellow in color with a fruity aroma (in 60 ml bottles, 1 bottle in a box, complete with a measuring spoon);
- syrup in the form of an orange-yellow suspension (in 60 ml vials, 1 vial in a box, complete with a measuring spoon).
Each box also contains instructions for using Ospin.
The active ingredient of the drug is phenoxymethylpenicillin, its content (in the form of potassium salt) in 1 tablet is 250 mg.
In 1 coated tablet, the content of phenoxymethylpenicillin can be 500,000, 1,000,000 or 1,500,000 IU (International Units).
In 1 scoop (5 ml) of granules for preparation of suspension for oral administration, the content of benzathine phenoxymethylpenicillin is 400,000 IU, which is equivalent to 250 mg of phenoxymethylpenicillin.
In 5 ml of syrup, the content of phenoxymethylpenicillin in the form of phenoxymethylpenicillin benzathine can be 400,000 IU or 750,000 IU.
Ospin is an antibacterial drug of the penicillin group. Its mechanism of action is due to the property of the active substance - phenoxymethylpenicillin, to suppress the biosynthesis of the bacterial cell wall.
Streptococci of groups A, C, G, H, L and M, some strains of enterococci (streptococci of group D) that do not produce penicillinase staphylococci, Streptococcus pneumoniae, Neisseria, Listeria, Erysipelothiasis rhusiopathy, Spirillum minus, Pasteurella multocida, spirochetes (including Leptospira, Borrelia, Treponema), anaerobes (clostridia, fusobacteria, peptococci, peptostreptococci).
After taking Ospin, phenoxymethylpenicillin is well absorbed inside. Gastric juice does not suppress its activity. The maximum concentration (C max) of the active substance in the blood plasma is reached after 30-60 minutes.
Plasma protein binding at 55%.
Phenoxymethylpenicillin crosses the placental barrier and is excreted in breast milk. Easily penetrates human tissues and organs, including kidneys, lungs, skin, mucous membranes, muscles.
The half-life (T 1/2) is 30–45 minutes.
The substance is excreted unchanged mainly through the kidneys, partly with bile.
Indications for use
The antibiotic Ospin is indicated for the treatment of the following infectious diseases caused by microorganisms sensitive to phenoxymethylpenicillin:
- respiratory tract: bronchitis, pneumonia;
- ENT organs: tonsillitis, ulcerative-membranous tonsillitis of Vincent-Simanovsky, scarlet fever, pharyngitis, purulent pharyngitis, tonsillopharyngitis, acute otitis media, sinusitis and other diseases of the organs of otorhinolaryngology of infectious genesis;
- skin: infected wounds and burns, erysipelas, chronic erythema migrans and other clinical signs of Lyme disease, pyoderma (including contagious impetigo), phlegmon, furunculosis, abscess.
In addition, Ospin is used to prevent streptococcal infections and their complications (including polyarthritis, endocarditis, rheumatic fever, glomerulonephritis), pneumococcal infections in children with sickle cell anemia.
For patients with congenital or acquired rheumatic heart defects, Ospen is prescribed before and after minor surgical operations in order to prevent bacterial endocarditis.
- gastrointestinal pathology, accompanied by constant vomiting and diarrhea;
- individual intolerance to beta-lactam antibiotics;
- hypersensitivity to the components of the drug.
The antibiotic Ospen should be prescribed with caution in patients with known hypersensitivity to cephalosporins, with bronchial asthma, allergic diathesis, anuria.
The use of Ospin during pregnancy or lactation is possible if the expected clinical effect of therapy for the mother outweighs the potential threat to the fetus or newborn.
Ospin, instructions for use: method and dosage
Tablets, ready-made suspension or syrup are taken orally, 0.5 hours before meals.
The recommended dosage regimen of Ospin:
- adult patients: for mild to moderate infection - 500 mg 3-4 times a day. In severe disease, Ospin is prescribed in a dose of 750 mg 3-4 times a day;
- children from 6 to 12 years old: 500 mg 3 times a day;
- children aged 1–6 years: 250 mg 3 times a day.
The duration of the course of treatment is from 7 to 10 days.
Recommended dosage for syrup (750,000 IU / 5 ml):
- children: aged 1 to 6 years, with a body weight of 10–22 kg - 1/2 measuring spoon 3 times a day; at the age from 6 to 12 years (22–38 kg) - 1 scoop 3 times a day. The average daily dose may be 50,000-100,000 IU per 1 kg of the child's weight (in 2-3 doses). The minimum dose for children is 25,000 IU per 1 kg of body weight;
- adolescents over the age of 12 and adults: 2 scoops, 3 times a day. In the absence of a sufficient clinical effect, the dose can be increased. The average daily dose is from 3 to 4.5 million IU (in 2-3 doses). The maximum daily dose for adults is 6 million IU.
The duration of the course in the treatment of streptococcal infections should be at least 10 days.
After the symptoms of infection have disappeared, Ospan should be continued for 3 days.
- from the hematopoietic system: thrombocytopenia, leukocytopenia, agranulocytosis, hemolytic anemia, eosinophilia, positive direct Coombs' test;
- from the gastrointestinal tract: a feeling of fullness in the stomach, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, glossitis, stomatitis, pseudomembranous colitis;
- from the immune system: angioedema, exfoliative dermatitis, urticaria, erythema multiforme, anaphylactic shock, anaphylactoid reactions, collapse;
- other reactions: joint pain, fever.
- symptoms: exacerbation of side reactions, especially from the gastrointestinal tract, disturbances in water-salt metabolism;
- treatment: the specific antidote of phenoxymethylpenicillin is unknown. Recommended gastric lavage, hemodialysis, the appointment of symptomatic therapy, with special attention to the maintenance of water-electrolyte balance.
If you suspect staphylococcal infections, it is recommended to prescribe Ospin based on the results of bacteriological studies.
Treatment should be accompanied by regular blood tests, monitoring of kidney and / or liver function. It is important to consider that with prolonged use of phenoxymethylpenicillin, the risk of pseudomembranous colitis, the growth of resistant strains of microorganisms and fungi increases. Therefore, careful observation is required, and, if necessary, the appointment of a bacteriological examination. If the results of the studies confirm the suspicions of the development of pseudomembranous colitis or the appearance of resistance, Ospan should be stopped. Further, the therapy is continued in accordance with the results of the examination.
When symptoms of the development of allergic reactions appear, the antibiotic is stopped immediately, after which they seek medical advice.
The Ospin dose should be doubled before tonsillectomy, tooth extraction and other similar elective operations, as well as in the postoperative period in patients taking penicillin for antirheumatic prophylaxis.
With known hypersensitivity to cephalosporins, cross-allergy may develop.
In the treatment of the acute stage of severe pneumonia, empyema, pericarditis, meningitis, arthritis, osteomyelitis, sepsis, the use of parenteral administration of an antibacterial drug is indicated. With concomitant therapy with other bactericidal antibiotics, synergism of action occurs, so a dose reduction of a more toxic drug may be required.
Ospin is used with caution in patients with anuria. When prescribing a dosage regimen for them, the interval between doses of the usual dose is increased or decreased for a single dose of the drug, while maintaining the frequency of administration.
Patients with diabetes mellitus need to take into account the content of synthetic saccharin in Ospin syrup.
Against the background of phenoxymethylpenicillin therapy, when determining amino acids in urine by the ninhydrine method, false-positive results may be obtained, non-enzymatic determination of sugar in urine and analysis for urobilinogen may give a false-positive reaction.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
The use of Ospin during gestation or breastfeeding is allowed in cases where the expected effect of therapy for the mother outweighs the potential threat to the fetus or newborn.
Ospin is used to treat children from 1 year of age and older according to clinical indications in accordance with the recommended dosage regimen.
With impaired renal function
Phenoxymethylpenicillin has low toxicity, therefore, correction of the dosage regimen of Ospin in renal failure is not required. Dose reduction, if necessary, can be carried out according to individual indications.
Ospen should be used with caution in case of anuria. A single dose of the drug is recommended to decrease or increase the interval between doses of the usual doses.
For violations of liver function
Due to the low toxicity of Ospin, correction of the dosage regimen for patients with hepatic insufficiency is not required. Dose reduction can be carried out according to individual indications.
- non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, allopurinol, phenylbutazone: help to reduce calcium secretion, resulting in an increase in the concentration of phenoxymethylpenicillin;
- ascorbic acid: against the background of a combination with ascorbic acid, the absorption of Ospin increases;
- contraceptives for oral administration: the effect of oral contraceptives is weakened;
- bacteriostatic antibiotics (chloramphenicol, tetracyclines, lincosamides, macrolides and other bacteriostatic antibiotics): combined use of phenoxymethylpenicillin with them causes antagonism of action, the combination is contraindicated;
- drugs metabolized to form para-aminobenzoic acid, ethinyl estradiol: concomitant therapy with these drugs leads to a risk of breakthrough bleeding;
- anticoagulants: against the background of suppression of intestinal microflora and a decrease in the prothrombin index, the activity of anticoagulants increases;
- allopurinol: increases the risk of allergic reactions;
- laxatives, antacids, glucosamine, aminoglycosides: taking these drugs slows down and decreases the absorption of phenoxymethylpenicillin.
Ospan analogs are Phenoxymethylpenicillin, Vepikombin, Megacillin shouted, Kliatsil, Retarpen, Bicillin, Benzylpenicillin, Extensillin, Sulacillin, etc.
Terms and conditions of storage
Keep out of the reach of children. Store at temperatures up to 25 ° C, protected from moisture and light.
Shelf life: tablets - 5 years; coated tablets - 4 years; granules for preparation of oral suspension - 3 years; syrup - 2 years.
Terms of dispensing from pharmacies
Dispensed by prescription.
Reviews about Ospin
The few patient reviews about Ospen are positive. Experts also note the high efficiency of the drug in the treatment of many diseases of an infectious genesis.
Ospin price in pharmacies
The price of Ospin is unknown due to the lack of the drug in the pharmacy chain.
Maria Kulkes Medical journalist About the author
Education: First Moscow State Medical University named after I. M. Sechenov, specialty "General Medicine".
Information about the drug is generalized, provided for informational purposes only and does not replace the official instructions. Self-medication is hazardous to health!