Table of contents:
- Metformin Canon
- Release form and composition
- Pharmacological properties
- Indications for use
- Instructions for the use of Metformin Canon: method and dosage
- Side effects
- special instructions
- Application during pregnancy and lactation
- Pediatric use
- With impaired renal function
- For violations of liver function
- Use in the elderly
- Drug interactions
- Terms and conditions of storage
- Terms of dispensing from pharmacies
- Reviews about Metformin Canon
- Price for Metformin Canon in pharmacies
- Metformin Canon: prices in online pharmacies
Video: Metformin Canon - Instructions For Use 500, 850 And 1000 Mg, Reviews
Metformin Canon: instructions for use and reviews
- 1. Release form and composition
- 2. Pharmacological properties
- 3. Indications for use
- 4. Contraindications
- 5. Method of application and dosage
- 6. Side effects
- 7. Overdose
- 8. Special instructions
- 9. Application during pregnancy and lactation
- 10. Use in childhood
- 11. In case of impaired renal function
- 12. For violations of liver function
- 13. Use in the elderly
- 14. Drug interactions
- 15. Analogs
- 16. Terms and conditions of storage
- 17. Terms of dispensing from pharmacies
- 18. Reviews
- 19. Price in pharmacies
Latin name: Metformin-Canon
ATX code: A10BA02
Active ingredient: Metformin (Metformin)
Producer: KANONFARMA PRODUCTION, CJSC (Russia), NPO PharmVILAR, LLC (Russia)
Description and photo update: 2018-24-10
Prices in pharmacies: from 99 rubles.
Metformin Canon is a hypoglycemic drug.
Release form and composition
Dosage form of release of Metformin Canon - film-coated tablets:
- Metformin Canon 500 mg: biconvex, round, almost white or white (in blisters of 10 or 15 pcs., In a cardboard bundle of 3, 5, 6, 10 or 12 packs of 10 pcs., 2, 4 or 8 packs of 15 pcs.);
- Metformin Canon 850 mg and 1000 mg: biconvex, oval, almost white or white (in blisters of 10 pcs., In a cardboard box of 3, 5, 6, 10 or 12 packs).
Composition of 1 tablet Metformin Canon 500 mg, 850 mg and 1000 mg, respectively:
- active substance: metformin hydrochloride - 0.5; 0.85 or 1 g;
- auxiliary components: macrogol (polyethylene glycol 6000) - 0.012; 0.020 4 or 0.024 g; talc - 0.003; 0.005 1 or 0.006 g; povidone - 0.047; 0.079 9 or 0.094 g; sodium stearyl fumarate - 0.003; 0.005 1 or 0.006 g; sodium carboxymethyl starch - 0.008; 0.013 6 or 0.016 g; pregelatinized starch - 0.027; 0.045 9 or 0.054 g;
- film shell: opadry II white - 0.018; 0.03 or 0.036 g, including talc - 0.003 132; 0.005 22 or 0.006 264 g; titanium dioxide - 0.002 178; 0.003 63 or 0.004 356 g; macrogol (polyethylene glycol) - 0.004 248; 0.007 08 or 0.008 496 g; polyvinyl alcohol - 0.008 442; 0.014 07 or 0.016 884 g.
The active substance of the drug, metformin, is an oral hypoglycemic agent belonging to the biguanide group.
Actions of Metformin Canon, due to the active substance included in its composition:
- reducing the concentration of glucose in the blood by increasing its utilization in tissues by increasing their sensitivity to insulin (mainly striated muscles, to a lesser extent - adipose tissue), reducing its absorption from the gastrointestinal tract and inhibition of gluconeogenesis in the liver in patients with diabetes mellitus;
- stimulation of intracellular glycogenesis through the activation of glycogen synthase;
- lack of stimulation of insulin secretion and hypoglycemic action in healthy individuals (in contrast to sulfonylurea derivatives);
- decrease in serum concentration of low density lipoproteins, cholesterol and triglycerides;
- stabilization or weight loss;
- fibrinolytic action by suppressing tissue-type plasminogen activator inhibitor.
Characteristics of metformin:
- absorption: its absorption from the gastrointestinal tract when taken orally is 48–52%; simultaneous food intake delays and reduces its absorption; absolute bioavailability ranges from 50 to 60%; With max (maximum concentration in blood) is 2 μg per 1 ml; TS max (time to reach maximum concentration) - 1.81-2.69 hours;
- distribution: quickly distributed in tissue; penetrates into erythrocytes; accumulates in the kidneys, liver and salivary glands; distribution volume (for a dose of 0.85 g) - 296-1012 liters; has a slight connection with plasma proteins;
- metabolism: undergoes very little metabolism;
- excretion: excreted mainly unchanged by the kidneys; its clearance in healthy individuals is 0.4 liters per minute; T 1/2 (half-life) is 6.2 hours (initial varies within 1.7-3 hours, terminal - 9-17 hours); in cases of renal insufficiency, T 1/2 increases and there is a risk of drug accumulation.
Indications for use
- adults (especially obese): monotherapy or combined treatment with insulin or other oral hypoglycemic agents of type 2 diabetes mellitus in cases where physical activity and diet therapy are ineffective;
- children over 10 years old: monotherapy or combined treatment with insulin for type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- diabetic ketoacidosis, diabetic precoma, coma;
- impaired renal function, or renal failure (with creatinine clearance <60 ml per minute);
- acute conditions occurring with the risk of developing renal dysfunction: severe infectious diseases, fever, dehydration (against the background of vomiting, diarrhea), hypoxia (bronchopulmonary diseases, kidney infections, sepsis, shock);
- clinically pronounced manifestations of chronic and acute pathologies that can lead to the development of tissue hypoxia (including acute myocardial infarction, heart or respiratory failure);
- extensive surgical interventions and injuries, in which insulin therapy is indicated;
- impaired liver function, liver failure;
- acute alcohol intoxication, chronic alcoholism;
- lactic acidosis (including history);
- a period of at least 2 days before and 2 days after X-ray or radioisotope studies with the introduction of an iodine-containing contrast agent;
- a period of at least 2 days before and 2 days after operations under epidural or spinal anesthesia, general anesthesia;
- stay on a low-calorie diet (<1000 kcal per day);
- simultaneous intake of alcohol, ethanol-containing agents;
- age under 10;
- lactation period;
- individual intolerance to the components that make up the drug.
Relative (conditions in the presence of which the appointment of Metformin Canon requires caution):
- combination therapy with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, loop diuretics (risk of decreased renal function);
- performing heavy physical work by persons over the age of 60 (due to the possible development of lactic acidosis in them).
Instructions for the use of Metformin Canon: method and dosage
Tablets Metformin Canon are taken orally without chewing (whole), during or after a meal, with water.
Monotherapy and combined treatment with other oral hypoglycemic agents in adults
The initial dose is 1000-1500 mg per day, divided into 2-3 doses (to avoid the development of side effects from the gastrointestinal tract). After 10-15 days, if there are no side effects from the gastrointestinal tract, a further gradual increase in the dose is allowed, taking into account the concentration of glucose in the blood. By slowly increasing the dose of the drug, an improvement in its gastrointestinal tolerance can be achieved.
Maintenance dose - 1500-2000 mg per day; maximum - 3000 mg (1000 mg of Metformin Canon 3 times a day).
If you plan to switch from another oral hypoglycemic drug to Metformin Canon, the first one is stopped and the drug therapy is started in the doses indicated above.
Combination therapy with insulin in adults
The initial dose is 500 mg or 850 mg of Metformin Canon 2-3 times a day or 1000 mg 1 time a day. The insulin dose is selected taking into account the indicators of the concentration of glucose in the blood.
Monotherapy and combined treatment with insulin in children
The starting dose is 500 mg per day in the evening, along with meals. After 10-15 days, the dose is adjusted taking into account the concentration of glucose in the blood.
Maintenance dose - 1000-1500 mg per day, divided into 2-3 doses; the maximum is 2000 mg per day, divided into 3 doses.
Possible adverse reactions (> 10% - very common;> 1% and 0.1% and 0.01% and <0.1% - rarely; <0.01% - very rare):
- central nervous system: metallic taste in the mouth (taste disturbance);
- gastrointestinal tract: lack of appetite, abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea;
- hepatobiliary system: hepatitis, impaired liver function indicators;
- allergic reactions: very rarely - urticaria, rash, itching, erythema;
- metabolism: very rarely - lactic acidosis (treatment cancellation is necessary);
- others: very rarely - hypovitaminosis of vitamin B 12, including megaloblastic anemia, and folic acid (impaired absorption) with prolonged use of the drug.
The main symptoms: lactic acidosis, the early symptoms of which are: muscle pain, abdominal pain, decreased body temperature, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting; further disturbance of consciousness, dizziness, increased respiration and the development of coma may be noted.
Therapy: cancellation of therapy, urgent hospitalization, diagnosis, hemodialysis, symptomatic treatment.
During drug therapy, blood glucose concentration is regularly monitored (on an empty stomach and after meals).
In case of severe malaise, general weakness, pain in the muscles or abdomen, vomiting, the patient should consult a doctor, since these symptoms may indicate the onset of lactic acidosis.
Due to the fact that the elimination of metformin is carried out through the kidneys, before starting the drug intake, and then regularly determine the concentration of creatinine: with preserved renal function - 1 time in 12 months, with a reduced creatinine clearance and in old age - 2-4 times in 12 months.
In cases of impaired renal function, for example, at the beginning of treatment with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, diuretics or antihypertensive drugs, it is important to take special care. The patient should consult the attending physician if symptoms of an infectious disease of the genitourinary organs or bronchopulmonary infection develop.
When taking metformin, vitamin B 12 hypovitaminosis is possible due to malabsorption (it has a reversible character, it quickly disappears when the drug is discontinued).
Influence on the ability to drive vehicles and complex mechanisms
Since hypoglycemic conditions may develop during combined therapy with Metformin Canon with other hypoglycemic drugs, patients receiving such a combination should be especially careful when driving and conducting potentially hazardous activities.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
Metformin Canon is contraindicated for use during pregnancy and lactation.
Patients should inform the doctor about the planning or occurrence of pregnancy during the period of drug use (it must be canceled and transferred to insulin therapy). In such cases, medical supervision is established for the patient.
If the use of the drug during lactation is necessary, breastfeeding is stopped.
Metformin Canon is contraindicated in children under the age of 10.
With impaired renal function
The drug is contraindicated in patients with renal failure or impaired renal function, as well as in acute conditions occurring with the risk of developing impaired renal function.
For violations of liver function
According to the instructions, Metformin Canon is contraindicated in liver failure and liver dysfunction.
Use in the elderly
In elderly patients, due to a possible decrease in renal function, the dose of Metformin Canon is selected under regular monitoring of renal function indicators (at least 2-4 times a year, the concentration of creatinine in the blood serum is monitored).
The duration of the course is determined by the doctor. Cancellation of therapy is not recommended without a doctor's instructions.
The effect of drugs / substances on metformin in combination therapy:
- Danazol: development of its hyperglycemic action is possible;
- Chlorpromazine (at a dose of 0.1 g per day): increases blood glucose concentration and decreases insulin release;
- glucocorticosteroids (parenteral and topical application): decrease its glucose tolerance and increase the concentration of glucose in the blood, causing ketosis in some cases;
- beta 2 -adrenomimetics (injection): reduce its hypoglycemic effect by stimulating beta 2 -adrenergic receptors;
- angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors and other antihypertensive drugs: can reduce the concentration of glucose in the blood;
- nifedipine: increases its absorption and C max;
- sulfonylurea derivatives, insulin, salicylates, acarbose: may enhance its hypoglycemic effect.
Analogs of Metformin Canon are: Formetin, Sopamet, Metformin MV-Teva, Metformin Zentiva, Metadien, Diasfor, Glucophage Long, Glyformin, Bagomet.
Terms and conditions of storage
Store in a place protected from light and moisture at temperatures up to 25 ° C. Keep out of the reach of children.
Shelf life is 2 years.
Terms of dispensing from pharmacies
Dispensed by prescription.
Reviews about Metformin Canon
According to reviews, Metformin Canon is an affordable and effective drug for controlling glucose levels as well as body weight. Among the disadvantages, the development of side effects from the gastrointestinal tract often appears.
Price for Metformin Canon in pharmacies
The approximate price of Metformin Canon 1000 mg (30 pieces per package) is 110 rubles.
Metformin Canon: prices in online pharmacies
Metformin Canon tablets 850mg 30 pcs
Metformin Canon tablets p.o. 1000mg 30 pcs. PharmVILAR
Metformin Canon tablets p.p. 500mg 60 pcs
Metformin Canon tablets p.p. 850mg 60pcs
Metformin Canon tablets p.p. 850mg 60 pcs
Metformin Canon tablets p.o. 1000mg 60 pcs.
Anna Kozlova Medical journalist About the author
Education: Rostov State Medical University, specialty "General Medicine".
Information about the drug is generalized, provided for informational purposes only and does not replace the official instructions. Self-medication is hazardous to health!